Tuesday, April 17, 2012

REVIEW: Allah-Las - Tell Me (What's On Your Mind) EP


Avid readers of my 2011 year end list may recall (assuming both of you remain in alive and in sound mind) that I didn't include any singles or EPs. I'm announcing that my 2012 list likely will include at least one EP. Sure, it only comprises four tracks, but I figure that if the EP is played three times in a row the listener gets 12 tracks (I'm relying on the accounting department for the math here--I was a history major), and I've never been able to play the Tell Me (What's On Your Mind) EP by Allah-Las fewer than three times in a row. Try a live version of the title track --


This music isn't fuzzed out indie hipster reinvention of '60s psychedelic and British Invasion; this sounds like the best distillation of the real thing. Trust me, I know the era well, and Tell Me (What's On Your Mind) fits like my old 501s.* The EP consists of three tracks with vocals, and a surfy instrumental titled "Sacred Sands".

"The Long Journey" --


Allah-Las are Miles, Pendrum, Spencer and Matt. The EP is released today by Pres Records. I checked and it is available on Amazon.

Catamaran


*Editor's Note: The fit of Rocksteady74's '60s 501s is used for artistic purposes and should not be confused with a factual statement regarding whether Rocksteady74's 501s still fit, and certainly shouldn't be taken as an assertion that there is anything artistic about Rocksteady74's appearance in said garment.

Website
Facebook
Pres Records

No comments: