Friday, January 13, 2012

The Soul Corner - "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down"

There are two triggers for this as today's choice.
I took a clumsy spill and hurt my head the other day. Feeling good now though. So the joke's on me here. From the great Sam and Dave:

And I learned about the original version by Sam and Dave from the supercharged cover by Elvis Costello on his 1980 rock'n'soul masterpiece Get Happy!. This video is a fantastic period piece. Whether this video was tongue in cheek as I assume, or not, I love everything about it:

Which brings me to my second trigger -- Important note to our Portland readers:
Tickets to the Elvis Costello singing songbook show at the Schnitzer Theater go on sale today. If you have seen him before, I know you'll be there. If you haven't, now's your chance. Not many better performers out there.

No comments: