Friday, May 18, 2012

The Soul Corner - Eddie Floyd "Knock on Wood' (feat. Donald "Duck" Dunn)

I have been reading so many thoughtful tributes to Donald Duck Dunn this week, and the number of great records the guy played on is amazing. And what a range of artists - Muddy Waters, Isaac Hayes, John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Baez, Duane Allman, The Staple Singers, Tom Petty, the list goes on and on - http://www.duckdunn.com/discography.html.

Somehow the Soul Corner has not previously included this one, the Eddie Floyd classic "Knock on Wood":

And you get a Soul Corner bonus this week, a second Donald Duck Dunn classic, and one of my all-time favorites, a true desert island song for me.  "Ain't No Sunshine" with Bill Withers giving us one of the most soulful vocals of all time, backed by some wonderful bass playing by Duck Dunn:

1 comment:

Frank Fahey said...

A great post. Knock on Wood is one of my soul favorites. I didn't know Duck played on the Withers' recording.