Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cool Video Thursday (and new discovery): Jonny with "Candyfloss"


Jonny are Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub and Euros Child, formerly of the now-defunct Welsh psychedelic band, Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci. This combination brings us two gifted and prolific songwriters. Here is the video for their first single, "Candyfloss":



The band just released an album, also named Jonny, on the Merge label. Other players on the album include Dave McGowan of Teenage Fanclub and Stuart Kidd (formerly of the BMX Bandits, which included Blake) helping out on bass and drums. It was recorded by ex-Delgado Paul Savage at the Chem 19 studio, which is beginning to be a touchstone of albums I've liked lately.

If you like clever wordplay and are a fan of the Teenage Fanclub, I suggest you give it a try. And speaking of giving it a try, you can stream the entire album on the Merge page linked HERE. I've listened to it and it is a quality album. To be honest, I'm actually on my second time through the album. I think this one could be a contender for a year end list.

"You Was Me", also from the new album:



Facebook

No comments: