Monday, July 23, 2018

Emma Russack & Lachlan Denton - Keep On Trying


Music is something I need in my life, and I spend a lot of time and resources acquiring and listening to it.  I'll hear a song, or read about a new release from an artist I admire, and I'll decide that I really want that song or album.  But beyond "want", there is music that I need.   Music I need is music that fits my soul, and makes me feel more complete.  The name of Lachlan Denton has appeared here a number of times in recent years, and increasingly in 2018.  His work with The Ocean Party, his solo work, and his collaborations with Emma Russack all have filled me with joy.  And his and Emma's new Keep On Trying hits the level of soul-patching "need".

The songs on the album are a revelation.  Both Russack and Denton are capable of reflective compositions that mine the melancholy side of the street.  But here they seem to bring out an optimism and wry, if at times tentative, hopefulness in each other.  In fact, many of the songs are distinctly upbeat, relying on warm vocals, simple but affecting melodies, and a sparkling piano.  The album impresses on first listen, but for me its impact grows with each replay.  Music for the soul is like that -- affecting, satisfying, and needed.

Keep On Trying is out now in digital and CD formats via Osborne Again Music.










Bandcamp for Keep On Trying



No comments: