We love garage bands here at WYMA and we love soul music. Combine the two, and we get very happy.
Jessica Hernandez is from Detroit, and by Detroit I mean Detroit, not its leafy suburbs. Detroit, the famously gritty city where musical magic happens, where soul music rocks, and rock music has an R&B foundation. The city where both "Going to A Go-Go" and "Kick Out the Jams" were written and recorded.
And Jessica Hernandez is a proud carrier of that rich musical tradition. She's a rock'n'soul powerhouse blessed with an unmistakable voice and charisma to burn. Here she is singing "Caught Up":
"Caught Up" is one of 3 songs on her introductory EP Live at The Magic Bag. She is backed by the Deltas, a first rate versatile band that can rock, bring it down, and knows its way around soul and avant Detroit jazz. These Detroit boys truly have Ms. Hernandez' back. And they have a sax player, which we consider a very good thing. Listening to this makes me imagine what if Amy Winehouse had been more centered as a person and backed by a real outfit like The Drive-By Truckers?
Next up, the funky "Sorry I Stole Your Man":
Last but certainly not least, she slows it down to great effect, on "Young, Dumb and Drunk":
By now, you are hooked, wondering how is this woman and this band not famous, and how can I see them. You can go see Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas now:
Summer 2013 Tour
6/8 – Cincinnati / Northside Tavern (Girls and Boys Night)
· 6/9 – Louisville / The New Vintage Showcase, w/ The Junkyard Dogs
· 6/10 – St. Louis / Firebird, w/ Moon Jr. and Indian Blanket
· 6/11 – Kansas City / Riot Room, w/ Blank Tapes and Beach Day
· 6/13 – Detroit / The Fillmore, w/ Metric, Family Of The Year, Serena Ryder (Riverfest)
· 6/19 – Oklahoma City / Conservatory, w/ The Sheiks and The One Seven Four
· 6/20 – El Paso / Garage Tequila Bar, w/ The Iveys
· 6/21 – Tucson / Hotel Congress
· 6/22 – Las Vegas / Beauty Bar
· 6/24 – LA / Satellite
· 6/25 – Phoenix / Last Exit Live, w/ The Sun Punchers
· 6/26 – Costa Mesa / Detroit Bar, w/ The Abigails
· 6/27 – San Diego / The Griffin
· 6/28 – Santa Barbara / Muddy Waters
· 6/29 – Long Beach / Alex’s Bar, w/ The Abigails
· 6/30 – Oakland / The New Parish
· 7/3 – Portland / Doug Fir Lounge, w/ Guantanamo Baywatch
· 7/4 – Bellingham / The Green Frog
· 7/5 – Seattle / The Crocodile Café, w/ The New Futures
· 7/6 – Bend / Les Schwab Amphitheatre, w/ Y La Bamba
· 7/9 – Boise / Neurolux (Radio Boise )
· 7/10 – Salt Lake City / The Bar Deluxe
· 7/11 – Denver / Lost Lake Lounge
· 7/12 – Omaha / Slowdown
· 7/14 – Madison / High Saloon, w/ The Family Business and The Earthlings
· 7/27 – Detroit / Oakaloosa Festival
Our strong advice here from WYMA headquarters - climb on this bandwagon while there is still room. And do not miss Jessica Hernandez if you live near or can get to any of the 26 cities above.
Do you want to know more about Jessica Hernandez, her family, background and attitude? This 5 minute feature is engaging and well worth a look:
Expect a debut LP later this year. Rest assured, WYMA will be all over it.
Bonus videos for historical context: