Friday, April 1, 2011

Old Stuff Friday - the Soul Corner - the Rev. Al Green

Well hopefully this one needs little in the way of introduction. And I give a shout out to my pal who requested an Al Green Soul Corner. I sincerely appreciate that anyone is tracking this weekly exercise enough to make requests. (Regulars here, including our loyal readers in Denmark (hej dejligt at se dig her), please send the requests my way).

It takes next to no arm twisting for me to go with the Rev. Al.

So how do you select just one Al Green song? I picked one that slays me, knocks me dead every single time. And that is over 35+ years of more listens than I could possibly count.

Everything about this song is perfect - the lead vocal of course, the musicianship, production, background vocals, etc etc. And if you don't get a little stoked when that greasy organ comes in right at the top of the song, well I can't help you.

"Love will make you do wrong, make you do right.... Make you come home early, make you stay out all night long." Oh yeah.

No comments: