Thursday, May 25, 2023

Spirit Award - The Fear

 


Some of us may reside in Seattle, but that doesn't mean that we have comprehensive knowledge of the city's wide and vibrant music scene. An example is the subject of this post, Spirit Award. A week ago this band was unknown to me. But while driving to pick up some skis which needed an end of the season tune up, I heard a live performance on KEXP. I pulled over and listened to several songs, captivated by the guitar work and atmospherics. I researched the band when I got home and discovered that they were releasing new album Fear last Friday. So that chance encounter over the airwaves results in tonight's post about a captivating record.

The songs are intense explorations of emotions, states of mind, and alternative perspectives. There are elements of psychedelia, dreampop, post punk and even, to my ears, a tough of surf. But I can't fit it into any specific boxes. It isn't like anything else I've heard this year, and I'm glad I discovered it.

Spirit Award's main man in Daniel Lyon (songwriting/vocals/guitar). Drums were by Andrew King and bass by Chris Jordan. Fear is available in digital and vinyl formats.




Website

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Bandcamp for The Fear

Various links for Spirit Award


No comments: