Tuesday, April 9, 2013

REVIEW: White Fence - Cyclops Reap


There are prolific artists, there are talented artists, and there are artists who write and perform the music I like to hear.  And when you draw a Venn diagram (I know you were promised their would be no math, but this will be brief) for those three groups, the small group in the middle includes Tim Presley, aka White Fence.  Tim's sprawling 2012 release, Family Perfume, as well as Hair, his collaboration with Ty Segall, both were on my list of top albums for the year (list here).  Apparently the obsession that doubles as his creative impulse gives him no rest, as today Castle Face Records releases his eleven-track Cyclops Reap.

Presley's base template is psychedelic music.  But like the other greats of the genre, his palette is sufficiently broad to provide garage, surf and other elements.  Listening to Cyclops Reap reminds me of the adventurous scope of George Harrison, Syd Barrett and Robyn Hitchcock.  Although Presley recorded in his home studio without a sound engineer, the album's raw, immediate feel only adds to the appeal.  I've listened to this album way too loud, way too often.  And I'm not going to stop.

Enjoy the reverb, distortion and surfy tones of "Pink Gorilla" --



Here is the psychedelic adventure of "To The Boy I Jumped In The Hemlock" --



Oh, by the way, Tim has said that he already is preparing the next album.  I'm happy.

Facebook
Blog
Castle Face Records

No comments: