Thursday, November 17, 2011

REVIEW: Heavy Times - Jacker


You know what it's like when you are finishing the last drink before bed on a quiet night, and you wish that you could squeeze the glass to get few more swallows? Well, that's the way I felt when I finished my first listen to Jacker from Chicago's Heavy Times. I wanted to squeeze another song or two from the player. It isn't that the album is ungenerous, there are 12 tracks. But they are short songs anyway and I really, really didn't want the album to end.

Here is a live version of one of my favorite tracks from the album: "Skull Hair".

031 Heavy Times from Kyle Obriot on Vimeo.



Heavy Times are Bo Hansen, Matt Jacker, Mathew Horde, Luca Cimirusti. Their sound isn't easy to classify. It has the speed, aggression, and noise of punk and garage, but the guitar sound is has a dense fuzz and the guys can wring out convincing rock solos on top of the three chords. Moreover, the songs have engaging vocal hooks. Whatever one wants to call it, it is a winning recipe.

Jacker is Heavy Times second LP. It was released in late October by HoZac Records. If you like garage/punk pop with a heavy side of fuzz and vocal hooks, this album is just what you're looking for. (It's going on my workout playlist)


Facebook
HoZac Records (artist's page)
Myspace

No comments: