Sunday, October 10, 2010

Solomon Burke, RIP: "None of Us Are Free"

Using the word "great" to describe Solomon Burke makes you realize how misused the word is when used to describe lesser figures. He was an amazing talent and personality.

I have my friend JD to thank for helping me discover both Burke and Joe Henry, who produced his comeback album Don't Give Up On Me, from which comes this song: "None of Us Are Free":



The record consists of songs written by other artists who admired Burke's work (Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Van Morrison: a pretty amazing cast in and of itself) and performed by Burke. It is very, very highly recommended.

Here's a nice Rolling Stone retrospective from earlier this year:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/217711?RS_show_page=0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey John, thanks for the props. And more importantly, thanks for the blog. I've learned more about music from you than just about anyone else in world. I've certainly imported from you far more than I have exported to you.
I would use register some name here but couldn't figure that out so went anonymous.
JD