Friday, September 10, 2010

Old Stuff Friday: Blues Edition

Saving the best for last...

Sonny Boy Williamson, "Keep It To Yourself"



Led Zeppelin, "Bring It On Home"



Jimi Hendrix, "Red House"



Howlin' Wolf, "Smokestack Lightning"

Sam Phillips, on his first meeting with Howlin' Wolf, was bowled over. "When I heard him, I said, 'This is for me. This is where the soul of man never dies'. He was about six foot six, with the biggest feet I've ever seen on a human being. Big Foot Chester is one name they used to call him. He would sit there with those feet planted wide apart, playing nothing but the French harp, and I tell you, the greatest show you could see today would be Chester Burnett doing one of those sessions in my studio. God, what would it be worth to see the fervor in that man's face when he sang. His eyes would light up and you'd see the veins on his neck, and buddy, there was nothing on his mind but that song. He sang with his damn soul."


No comments: